Friday, September 14, 2012

Iquitos: Last post from Karen

The following is a post from Karen, who volunteered this summer in Iquitos with her husband Ben:



It’s time to say, “Goodbye” to Iquitos, Peru. It’s time to say, “Goodbye” to the city that has taught me so much, and the friends that have changed my life. There were extremely difficult moments that brought me to tears, there were deep soul searching moments, and there were long and exhausting moments. There were moments that made me laugh so hard I cried, moments of awe at the beauty around me, and moments where pride and joy filled my heart. I’m sure I have felt every emotion possible in these past 2 months, and through it all, I believe I am returning home a different person. I believe that I am stronger, wiser, and more compassionate.            
            It’s hard to choose a picture to go along with this post. No single image can sum up this experience. No single image can include all of the people and places that I love, nor all of the things that I’ve learned. I finally decided on a picture of me on the Boulevard in Iquitos, by myself.  I left Salt Lake City, Utah to go help people and maybe change their lives, but in the end it was me that changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment