Thursday, September 13, 2012

Iquitos: Last post from Ben

The following is a post from Ben, who volunteered this summer in Iquitos with his wife Karen:



For my last blog post before it’s time to go home, I thought I would write about the overall changes I’ve both seen in others and experienced myself. Helping to teach the self-reliance classes here in Iquitos has been one of the most fulfilling things that I have ever done. It’s so wonderful to see people who are in the program progress to finally find the parts of their lives that have been missing and in some cases, not even know they were missing till they found them. The people that I’ve grown to know and love are amazing and inspiring people who only need an opportunity to change their lives. This program has been that opportunity and I’m very lucky to have been apart of it this summer.
            As for me I’ve learned that self-reliance isn’t a goal that can be achieved in a single moment in life, but is something that takes a lifetime to earn. I can always progress, my finances can always progress, and my community can always progress. I know I am going to take what I’ve learned here and apply to my life back home as I continue to grow in my personal self-reliance.
            The attached picture is of a handful of members of one of the self-reliance groups. They call themselves “The Eagles,” because they feel like the gap between the “eagle” and the “condor” is being bridged through the efforts of Eagle-Condor’s support as well as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment