Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Aldea Infantil: Angela's last post


The following is a post from Angela, who volunteered at La Aldea Infantil this summer:


August 29
Oh my goodness, I left Aldea exactly one week ago.  I got home from Peru on Friday.  Since then I have had so many different thoughts run through my head.  Certainly, I have returned to America, mi pais, with a changed heart.  I was only in Peru for a short time, barely a month and a half, but the lessons I learned will stay with me forever.   In all, Peru was amazing!  The scenery is beautiful, the culture and history rich, the people personable and hard working.  I quickly became enchanted with the world around me.  Every day I became more and more intrigued, as well as impressed, with the lifestyles of the Peruanas.  Certainly, the most dominant characteristic I observed is that the people are willingly friendly with everyone.  From my observations, people matter to those in Peru, and I certainly felt my heart open to that concept.  I had so much fun striking up a conversation, working alongside, and learning from my new friends in Peru.  One of the first lessons las Peruanas taught me is: People matter.  They are the most important part of life and one must work hard to maintain a friendly, happy relationship with all of our neighbors. 

In Iquitos, the lush and beautiful Amazon, I learned how important it is to put other’s needs before my own.   I had the opportunity to work alongside personas muy buena con corazones muy grande.  Yes, I did work with 29 amazing, selfless gringos.  But the people I was most impressed with were the 15 or so Peruanas in charge of the service projects.  These people were humble enough to step out of their own busy and difficult lives and notice others, their own neighbors, were in need of their help.  They sacrificed not only their meager resources, but also their time—a very precious and expensive commodity.  I was honored to add my own simple hand to the efforts of the Peruvians in the service group “Las Aguilas” from a LDS Stake in Iquitos.  I seriously completed some of the most rewarding work with my new friends in Iquitos.  They taught me so much about putting my God and my neighbors before myself, and doing so happily and willingly.  Everyday my heart was touched and softened a little more.

And then I got to la Aldea Infantíl, a government funded orphanage in Santa Rosa, Simbal a city district near Trujillo.  It was here that I fully came to love las Peruanas.  On my first day at the orphanage I felt like I would never learn the all of the children’s names let alone become someone they could feel support from.  Luckily, I was very wrong.  I quickly fell into the daily life at Aldea—there are 64 children and twenty or so adult employees.  I came to love and respect each employee (los tios) and came to deeply care for each one of children (los niños) individually.  Over the month that I was there I participated in several activities (a running race, drawing contest, dance lessons, ect.), field trips (including a tour of the ancient ruins of the Chimu tribe, Chan Chan and a trip a la cine, etc.), and even a two day Anniversary Celebration with the orphans.  While the activities were exciting and enjoyable, my most treasured moments were when I was simply a friend to los niños.  We played together, took strolls arm in arm, raked leaves together, even talked while watching the stars (to only mention a few).  Every moment I spent with a child, particularly one on one, was special and unique to that child and myself.  I feel I was able to learn the personalities and different qualities in most, if not all, of the children.   Love and support developed on both sides. 

Aldea-los niños y los tios—taught me love.  These children are lacking so much—not only in physical and temporal conditions, but more significantly emotionally. They simply do not have a strong foundation to lean on or draw strength from.  They lack the comfort gained from a constant, caring parent.  They do not have a mother or father by their side to teach and build them up.  Los tios constantly sacrificed to try to create a foundation of love.  And I was indeed humbled to have the opportunity to give a little of my own love and as well as the Lords love to these struggling children.   I was always in awe to witness the simple acts of love and sacrifice in the management of Aldea.  The orpanage was conducted through the love of God.  The people, los tios y los niños, taught me the importance of love and how to open my heart to those in need.  I am so grateful for every moment I had in Peru.  I undoubtedly believe the good done was for me.  My Peruvian friends served me as I lived among them this summer.  I will forever keep a part of my heart in Peru—stuck with my friends in Iquitos and con mis hijos y amigos in Aldea. 

Muchas gracias al Dios, Ealge-Condor, y las personas del Peru por un verano muy significa en mi vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment