Friday, September 7, 2012

Aldea Infantil: From Angela

**My apologies for my lack of posting recently. I just had a baby and we moved 2 weeks later! Regular posting should commence soon!**

The following is a post from Angela, who is volunteering at La Aldea Infantil:

August 4

Aldea is a very quaint, well-mangaed square of ten casas, each (menos casa sies) has eight to ten ninos, their ages ranging from a five month old baby to 18 years, living under the managment of a Tia.  The kids are well taken care of, every child recieves a good meals, clean clothes, and sanitary living conditions.  It is obvious that the children's health is important to the Tias--not only because it is their job to watch over the children but also because they sincerly love these kids. 

On my second day I was able to witness and then gain my own concern and love for los ninos.  Three of the babies (Fatima-ella tiene un ano-, Devyious-el tiene tres anos-, y Maria Luisa-ella tiene cinco) were ill and needed to go to the doctor.  Tia Flor y Tia Margarita needed one more person to help hold the kids so I accompanied them to a hospital just outside of Aldea.  We traveled on the bus and held the kids in our laps.  When we first arrived at the hospital we needed to check the kids in, but Tia Flor y Tia Margeta needed to take one of the kids to the bathroom. So they had me wait in line, holding sweet Fatima in my arms.  While I was waiting I talked with the Peruvain women in front of me, all of them also holding a sick child.  I was impressed with the obvious love each had for their own children and then for me.  When it came my time to check the children in and las Tias were still missing the women were quick to help me.  Latter, as we were waiting for the doctor all the women in the waiting room talked amongst eachother, discussed their childrens' illnesses, and gave eachother support and advice.  They were quick to show that they cared for the other women's situations and children as well as their own. I witnessed women who were proud to be mothers.  I really appreciated the sisterhood between the women at the hospital.  The people may not have all of the resources as we do in the United States, but they certainly have companionship and charity towards one another.

Many of the women assumed or asked if the children I was holding were mis hijos.  I quickly explained that I was simply a volunteer, temporary mother for the children.  But their questions made me realize how important a role of a mother is and that I could act as that figure for the next couple of weeks.  These children need as much love and support as is possible to bestow upon their sweet spirits.  As we left the hospital, all three of the children fell asleep in each of the Tias y mio arms. It was the most precious experience to carry a sleeping baby all the way back to Aldea.  My heart certainly grew as I carried and worked with the ill children, the caring Tias, and the supportive women at the hospital.  I know my heart will continue to soften and change as I experience many different moving adventures here at Aldea.  Un otra vez, tengo mucho feliz para mis oportunidades aca.

No comments:

Post a Comment