Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Aldea Infantil: A grand marathon


The following is a post from Angela, an intern at La Aldea Infantil:

August 11
This week in Aldea, I have learned so much from every activity, conversation, and even the simple observations of the kids and employees.  I have had several moments where I paused, took a step back, and realized how amazing los niños here are.  I am living their life for only a couple of weeks (and even then it is not the same for me).  I have clothes and shoes that fit, I have a family and support waiting for me back home, I have opportunity and the means to engage progress in my life.  These children, bless their hearts, are lacking.  The Tios really do love these children.  I have been so impressed by the employees and their obvious love and service towards these kids.  The children call them “Mamí” for a reason.  However, there are eight to ten children in one house (about 70 kids in all) and it is very difficult to provide a foundation these children can lean on when they need comfort, support, and love.  It is my hope that during my time here at Aldea I can help give them some of my love and more importantly God’s love.   I hope, through my efforts, the children can realize how special each and every one of them is.  I know everyone of them has talent and potential, the only challenge is getting them on the road to success.  





This week Aldea actually had a lot of activities planned for the kids.  One day all the children participated in “un gran marathon” (a grand marathon), a race. Each child had a number on their back and were split into groups according to their age.  During the race the children cheered for their comrades and the race exerted not only physical exercise but love and encouragement.  It was so much fun to run with the children and grow closer through companionship.  Another day everyone went out to “el cine” (a movie).  The kids expressed so much excitement for the film, and once again it was so much fun for me to put myself at their level of the children and participate with them.  During the movie I held an eight year old girl named Perla.  Perla pulls at the strings of my heart, she is mentally handicapped and is constantly running around searching for what appears to me more love.  I held her close to me the whole movie.  The climax of the movie turned out very eventful for both of us—as the music and action increased so did Perla’s anxiety.  She screamed out “Mamí” and quickly turned her head to my chest.  It took a couple of moments to calm her, but then we finished the film peacefully.  Later in the week, we took a field trip to Chan Chan, one of the largest ancient ruins in Peru and I believe in the world.  It was marvelous to learn Peruvian history with the children.  During the field trip I spent time one on one with the kids and we talked excitedly about what we were seeing. 


We stayed very busy this week, but what I think was most meaningful was the quiet moments when I sat down and talked with the kids.  Last night I looked at the stars with one of the boys.  His name is Miguel.  He is thirteen years old, and is also a little mentally and physically handicapped.  He finally opened up last night and we had a marvelous conversation with about Halloween, la playa, the planets, Argentina, soccer, and several other random subjects.  Even though our conversation was pointless, love was certainly expressed.  When I left for my house he gave me a big hug and a kiss on first the hand, then the cheek.  The look in his eyes was precious, a moment I will never forget.  I know that Miguel understood my love for him.  I hope he will always remember it!  I have had these special moments repeatedly this last week.  These kids are so wonderful and I want to touch each and everyone of their hearts, because they certainly have touched mien.   I am so grateful for this opportunity.  Attached are a few photos of different activities and children.


No comments:

Post a Comment