Monday, September 10, 2012

Aldea Infantil: Isaac

The following is a post from Shayla, who is volunteering at La Aldea Infantil:



Like Isaac, all of the niños in Aldea are learning to write. It is so comforting to hold a child in my arms and teach them something that will benefit them for the rest of their lives.
I believe that all children should have the opportunity to learn. I brought mini notebooks for all of the kids to have so they can practice their writing. Having something new to work with has motivated them to practice. Every day, I see different kids practicing their writing. Some even practicing in English! Knowing two different languages can open different job opportunities, and even confirm to the niños that they can do anything if they set their mind to it.

In some cases, there might not be opportunities to learn. This reality makes me determined to teach as many kids that I can, to effect multiple lives in my short time here in Peru. From the reactions I get while teaching, the kids grasp onto any moment when they are feeling loved. Giving the children here in Aldea “love”, in my opinion, one of the most important things that I can give to them. I can give this to them by spending one-on-one time with them teaching. Several of the children here have never had a family. Others, were abandoned, abused, or taken from their homes because of other circumstances. The kids live in a house with up to ten other kids and one tia (aunt). The tia has a big responsibility of taking care of the meals for the day, house care, and juggling 10 children. With all of the other things that need to be done, it is easy to put love on hold. My obligation is to spend individual time with the Aldea kids, and to show them the love they have been lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment