Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Aldea Infantil: Danery


The following is a post from Shayla, who is volunteering at La Aldea Infantil:



Unlike myself, Danery loves to practice math! However, learning together was a lot of fun! We would take turns rolling the dice, writing down the number, then adding or subtracting to practice! This is one of the many math games we played using the dice. It was so rewarding to see her excitement when she got an answer right. After several math problems, we began adding die one by one. We got up to four dice! I was impressed with how fast she improved!

It is moments like those when I wish education were more accessible. Danery has so much potential. However, that potential is limited to her resources. She does go to school, but learning beyond the basic isn’t a priority. This is the case for majority of the kids living in Aldea. It is so hard to watch, but satisfying when I can help. Volunteering in Peru has been an experience of a lifetime. Being privileged to help kids like Danery has changed me for the better. It has made me appreciate my education, and the opportunities I have been blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment