Monday, September 17, 2012

Aldea Infantil: Never ending smiles


The following is a post from Angela, a volunteer at La Aldea Infantil:





August 19
This week the kids returned to school from their vacation.  Therefore, every morning I had the opportunity to help more with the little babies and the other children that did not go to school.  On Monday I was able to spend time with two precious children, Perla (a handicapped eight year old) and then Maria Luisa (a little three year old).  We drew pictures, read stories, and walked around together.  It was beautiful.  I certainly felt a stronger bond with both of the children after our adventures together.  Perla has grown quite attached to me, she is constantly sitting in my lap or calling me “Mamí”.  It almost breaks my heart. 
Another day I spent the morning with Elvien.  She is a 16 year old girl who is six months pregnant.  She does not go to school.  I wanted her to be able have some kind of educational activity so I pulled out some basic piano books and started to teach her how to play the piano.  Again, it was a beautiful moment.  When I first came to Aldea, Elvien would not really look at me, talk to me, even smile.  But now she has finally opened up.  We are friends.  I hope she can remember my love for her, for I certainly do love her.
Every week has been so different at Aldea.  This week I have more fully realized my love for each of the children personally.  The children quickly show me their love as well.  Hugs are constant, smiles never ending.  I have a different relationship with each child and I will remember them all for their own personality.  It is indeed going to be difficult to leave these kids this next week.  I have tried to be a nurturing, stable figure for the kids to believe in.  And now I am leaving.  These children are missing a solid foundation (parenthood) and nothing, no matter how hard people try, can take that place.  I have certainly gained a stronger appreciation for my own family and developed a stronger commitment to build a firm foundation for my own children one day.  Thank you Aldea and Eagle-Condor for all of the memories and lessons learned from this experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment