Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Miguel's Abilities (Amanda)

Amanda gives us an update on Miguel's abilities (versus his disabilities):

This is Miguel. Miguel is considered mentally handicapped by most people and by all technical standards. I would like to tell you a story about Miguel.
A group of us were playing volleyball--a past time that is rapidly increasing as a favorite of the older kids at the Aldea. Miguel was sitting to the side and I let him play with my camera (also a recent favorite past time of ALL ages of the kids at the Aldea). While we were playing I remember glancing over a time or two and noticed that he was pointing the camera at us as well as all around. He walked over to a Tia and her son nearby and talked to them for a bit. All the while we were playing volleyball. I didn't think too much about it until later that night after dinner when all the kids were in their houses and I sat down to look through my photos of the day. I was amazed! Miguel had not only figured out how to take photos on his own, but also how to record videos! He had received no instruction of any kind from anyone! I know some adults who cannot even figure out how to record videos on my camera and that is afterinstruction! :) Photos and videos taken by Miguel included us playing volleyball, the Tia and her son in obviously planned/choreographed poses, and simple beauties like the moon above. I will have to upload some of his photos to the blog. I sat there amazed. I had fully expected blurred photos of nothing but color like I see when I get my camera back from most of the kids playing with it. Instead Miguel had not only figured out the mechanics of handling a camera, but he was well on his way to mastering the art of becoming a professional photographer.
To some, Miguel may be labeled as something. The world categorizes him as a child with disabilities. To me, Miguel showed great ability! He has taught me that labels are only what the eyes see. What really matters is what is deeper. Gracias Miguel.

Other posts about Miguel are here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment