Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gabriel (Amanda)

Amanda, a new intern at La Aldea Infantil, introduces us to Gabriel:

My first week at the Aldea!! I am getting to know the kids and learning names of everyone. There are so many precious faces and unique personalities, but one little boy that has really stood out to me this week is Gabriel. He is so quiet that you wouldn't even know he was in the room. He has the most pensieve little dark eyes under long lashes that are very much into detail. I sat next to him while we worked on arts and crafts and he was so intent on his masterpiece. Kids were everywhere and drawing and laughing and pasting and little Gabriel was so focused and still. I watched while he added unique detail to his picture--things that we had not included in the original example that served as a guide and which most of the other children copied exaclty. Gabriel also has a favorite toy. A small tire. All around the Aldea you can see Gabriel running alongside his tire, rolling it occassionally with his little hand as he goes. His little bare feet race by the sheep and the lambs that graze freely on the grass patches between the 10 houses that make up the campus of the Aldea. I love watching him in his sport and I love the fact that he came up with it all on his own. He rarely speaks, but his smile is never very far away, especially when you call out his name and wave to him. Little Gabriel has found a very special place in my corazon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment