Friday, April 15, 2011

More thoughts from Erin

At the end of her internship, Erin shared with us some of what she learned from many of the children at El Bichito:

I LOVE the kids here with my whole heart.
Even though they certainly know how to be stinkers I still find myself smiling and enjoying there presence every minute. I have learned so much from each kid and their situations.

Alida, Hector, Manuel, Luis, Aurora, and Wilson have taught me about looking out for family. Whenever Wilson bumps his head at least one of his siblings is close at hand to pick him up. They always make sure their siblings are included and have the right number of stickers. They even make sure they are all together before they leave El Bichito for the day. Their example has rededicated me to serving my siblings.

Katherine has taught me the beauty of silent service. She is always helping us clean or helping her little brother Alessandro, but is much more quite than most of the kids here. Her service has not gone unnoticed by me and I am grateful for the lesson I learned about not seeking recognition for the things I do. Alessandro has shown me how to appreciate the little things in life. He is so excited just to walk outside and say hello.

Flor Margarita and Mirian have reminded me to be a good example. Mirian always wants to do what Flor, her older sister, is doing. I have noticed she will even adopt the same attitude has Flor. Her behavior has reminded me that we are always being watched and it is important that we are always doing the best we can.

Luzmila, Magali, and Dalila have taught me that we all need someone who understands us. I could go on and on (and I've probably already indulged myself too much already!). What it all comes down to is that these kids and my experience here have changed my life forever. I've done things I never thought I would or could-- take cold showers for 3 months and learn to function in a completely different country. I even taught myself enough Spanish to be able to help the kids. That was definitely my biggest motivation to learn the language-- and the reason most of what I know in Spanish revolves around homework and school!


Thanks to all of our wonderful and charitable interns! You can learn more about starting an internship with Eagle Condor
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment