Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Milagros (Cynthia)




Milagros means “miracle”, and this little girl is my Milagros.
Every time she walks in the room she lights up with a smile and calls you by name to say hello. Milagros is a happy and giggly 6 year old girl who loves to play games and talk. Milagros lives in Pulyucana in a small one room house with her parents, older sister and baby brother. She comes to El Bichito for a good meal and to play games and learn from the interns here. But she is the one who has really taught me. She has taught me how to smile, even if life seems hard. She taught me what it means to be lucky, that it’s ok to be silly once in a while and how to be generous. I had the opportunity to visit Milagros in her home and after showing me her little space, she offered me some candy from a little jar. She told me I should take extra for the other interns as well. Coming from someone who has almost nothing, that meant the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment