Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kindness over Winning (Julia)

In the Aldea, it is rare to see acts of kindess solely for the purpose of trying to make another kid happy, so when we do see these actions it is a very rewarding feeling. We try our best to be good examples and to teach the kids about self-worth, but you never know who is listening and who is not. One person who was obviously paying attention was Ruben. The other day I was watching the kids play soccer and Ruben was the goalie (and doing pretty good I might add) until Miguel came up and wanted to play. Miguel has something wrong with his leg so it is hard for him to move around fast, which is why it was a shock for me at first that Ruben gave up his important spot to him. After that, Miguel missed a couple but then one ball came straight for him and he blocked it! It was cute to see Ruben give up his spot in the first place, but to see the team's reaction was even better. All the kids cheered for him while Ruben gave him a big pat on the back and turned his cap around to make him look "cool". I loved this moment and wished I had a camera with me, but I didn't get a picture. This is one of the happiest times I've felt at the Aldea because I love to see that the kids are actually realizing the importance of kindness and that winning isn't always the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment