Thursday, May 10, 2012

La Aldea Infantil: Meet Maribel

Lauren, an intern at La Aldea Infantil, gives a perfect example of the purpose of our interns and how they can make a difference: 



This week, I ended up working with a girl named Maribel. Maribel is a
17 year old girl who doesn't get the opportunity to go to school. She
is special and because of this, the schools here aren't equipped to
help her learn in a productive way. Because of this, I decided to have
her practice writing. I sat down and wrote down her name, the
alphabet, numbers, and some words. I wrote them in dashes then left
space for her to actually copy them down to practice. It took some
time to do this, but it was worth it. Maribel did so well; she really
hates to write and can’t read so I had to tell her what she was
writing. I know that Maribel doesn’t like to write because she knows
she can’t but I think that if I make her practice, she will improve
over time. After she finished, I told her what a good job she did and
that seemed to just make her day. I hope that by doing this, she will
now be more willing to work and practice her writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment