Friday, August 6, 2010

Hospital visits (Nat)

I went to the hospital twice again this week and plan to go again tomorrow. The first time was with Victor and Miguel (ages 8 and 6). They are brothers and have been at the orphanage for about a month. They're sooo cute I love them. Miguel has this huge smile that I can't not laugh at. He is always wanting to play with me so I dare say I'm his favorite volunteer....that was until I was the volunteer chosen to take him to the hospital to get his blood drawn for analysis. It was a nightmare for him. He screamed and screamed and screamed I couldn't hold him down for the blood draw so we had to get this man to come help. For 4 days Miguel would NOT look at me. No high fives no nothing. I was so upset about it cause seriously, he's the cutest. I mean, I don't blame him cause he literally thought I was going to kill him, I could see it in his eyes haha. But I bought him some chiclets at the bodega two days ago and that won him right over again. Funny how kids work like that. If only I could buy more friendships with candy at home.

Second time at the hospital was for Manuel. I think I told you guys but he's the 6 year old with incontinence problems. He's always wetting himself it's sad cause he gets super embarrassed. He's getting surgery today but I'm not exactly sure what they're doing. We volunteers have been taking 6 hour shifts to sit with him. We do that till Friday. So I bought a bunch of Disney movies on the street in Spanish for us to watch on my laptop. He's so cute. He's definitely my favorite kid to help me with my Spanish cause he will ask you for hours how to say different objects surrounding you. Then, he'll repeat it to make sure you remember it's cute. He's smart for how young he is. He always ruins my magic tricks for the other kids because he catches on too fast. Or maybe my magic tricks just suck, that's more likely. Anyway, he knows how to say "thank you very much" in English but pronounces it "sank oo berry mootch" and he says it super fast. So the other day in his little hospital bed he pulls out his toothbrush asking how to say it in english. He realized the way he says it rhymes with "thank you very much." So he goes "tootchbrootch como sank oo berry mootch" hahaha it's the cutest thing in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment