Friday, March 26, 2010

mitch's ankle

This week has been…interesting. Due to the rain, many of the activities have been canceled. And frankly, I don’t blame the tias of the houses for not wanting the kids go outside, because it is extremely difficult to keep the house and the kids clean with all the mud. Regardless though, us boys managed to get in a super fun and WET game of soccer just before dinner on Wednesday. Instead of playing on the court, we played in the grass where we could slip and fall without serious injury—or so we thought. It wasn’t long till one of the kids had jammed his big toe and near the end of the game, my foot managed to find a small hole in the ground and needless to say, I didn’t leave the field walking. I decided that I might as well go to the doctor, and thankfully, nothing was broken. Within a week or so, I should be back and ready for another soccer match! (I certainly hope so, cause I can’t stand not being able to run around with the kids and missing my exercises)

One of the children that has stood out to me not only this week, but since the beginning, is Bray Helin. We have been on the same volleyball team a number of times and even though we don’t always win, she loves playing. Sometimes it is against my will. There was one time that Bray Helin and two other girls came to my house and pretty much dragged me to the volleyball court to play. I think she likes dancing the best though. The girls here can dance forever! I ate in her house last week and can I just say that eating at a specific house for a week is probably the best idea ever. I can’t tell you how invaluable it has been in connecting with more of the kids here. Bray Helin is a confident, beautiful young lady. She is super sweet, and often helped get me some extra fruit here and there from the mom. She was one of the girls that would often play the dice game with me and others of the house after lunch or dinner. She definitely is more girly in how she carries herself and acts compared to many of the other girls here. She reminds me a lot of my sister actually.

Hopefully the rain doesn’t interfere too much with our time with the kids and that soon I will be able to back in all the wonderful action here at the Aldea!
Saludos a todos,
Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment