Wednesday, March 24, 2010

expecting the unexpected (Mitch at the Aldea)

Hola! This week's events can only be summed up by one word--UNEXPECTED. Life at the orphanage is quite different than life back home. All the bugs gave most of us an unwanted welcome, but it was only a matter of days until the bugs and girls were able to work things out and become friends; well, at least tolerate one another.

Since the kids are not in school, they have plenty of free time available, and that means that there is much that can be done by us the volunteers. This week we formulated and finalized a well planned schedule that we envision will keep the kids busy: sports, swimming, dancing, cycling, proper hygiene classes, english classes, computer classes, art and drawing, more dancing and trips to the beach.

This summer we divided the children into three groups--the Little Ones, the Wolves and the Dragons--according to age and mental ability. The first group includes kids age 2-6. The second group includes kids age 7-13. And the final group includes kids 14-17. We are excited to get things rolling on Monday!

Besides the work put into the new summer schedule, much of our time was devoted to helping the sick. Regardless of the set backs, all of us, except maybe the girl that is still sick, agree that this week has been one of the most fun and enriching week of our lives. All week I was assigned to eat with the family in house number 1. All girls live there, ranging from 6 months to 16 years. One morning after breakfast I played a board game with the older girls. I guess they did not like that I was winning because in the middle of the game, before I knew what was happening, they wiped away the board pieces and declared that we were starting over! There were three younger ones though, SaralĂ­, Antonina, and Miriam, that I spent the most time with, or should I say, they made sure to spend the most time with me. Every time they would see me it was like I was under attack! All of them wanted piggy-back rides and to have me help them do flips in the air while holding onto their hands. Sometimes I would pretend to faint and then they would dog-pile me and start tickling me or poking me till I gave in.

We have all learned so much. These next three months will undoubtedly be among the most treasured of our lives.

Gracias por todo lo que hace,

Mitch and the girls




No comments:

Post a Comment