Tuesday, March 20, 2012

La Aldea Infantil: Meet Nicolas

An update from Lauren at La Aldea Infantil:


This week has been pretty low-key because all of the kids headed back to school. Since all of the older kids are at school in the morning and doing homework in the afternoon, we usually get to play with the little kids. This week I got the opportunity to spend time with a little boy named Nicolas. Nicolas is 2 years old and has 3 other siblings here at the Aldea. He is still fairly new to the Aldea, but fits in like he's been here for ages. He is a quiet kid but his face is so cute, you can't help but love him despite his silence.


Well, one day this week he was feeling kind of sad so I went over and asked him if he wanted to just hang out with me. He nodded his head and took my hand and away we went. After we just spent some time walking around, I asked him if he wanted to color in one of the coloring books. He got really excited as soon as I mentioned that and his head started to bob up and down furiously. I giggled and then we headed back to my casa. After getting out the crayons and coloring book, we sat outside on the front porch and colored til his little heart was content. I don't know how long we actually sat there coloring, but it was so much fun.


At one point, one of the tias came over and gave us both a slice of watermelon. It was a nice treat and so we sat there and ate our watermelon which was so messy and got everywhere. So, after he had finished, I took him in and helped him wash his face. It may seem very boring and uninteresting, but sometimes these kids just need to know that someone is there to play with them and not to harass them with questions or small talk. As the saying says: "Silence is Golden."

Learn more about La Aldea Infantil here and here. Learn more about becoming an intern or ways you can help children like Nicolas.

No comments:

Post a Comment