Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Aldea Infantil: Lessons in health

By Brett Fotheringham, an intern at La Aldea Infantil
July 20
This week was fun, crazy, and a bit sad all at the same time. The Aldea threw a going-away party in honor of the two Scottish Volunteers, Connie and Pascal, who have been here for the last eleven months. The kids were quite sad about them leaving understandably so. Seeing how much they loved those two makes it hard to think that next week is our last. It is crazy how fast the last two months have flown by and it makes me wish more and more that I could have had more time here like the other two volunteers because there is so much to be done here. I guess that is why you have to make the time you have count. The picture for this post is memorable for me because it is a rare occasion when I can get the kids to pose with me while finding another kid to take the picture. Although Viktor is watching the other kids playing soccer, Juan Carlos has his hat over his head, and Alex just barely stopped smiling right before the shot, I love this picture. Being around these kids is such a neat opportunity and they really have so much to teach me. This week for FAMA we talked about Drugs and Alcohol. We had the kids breath through straws to simulate how smoking affects your breathing, and after that we spun the kids around in circles for half a minute or so to simulate what inebriation felt like. They had fun and afterwards we had a more serious conversation about the health effects of drug abuse and alcohol. It just made me realize how difficult some of the lives of these children have been and how strong they are to have gone through all these things. I love it here and will be sad to leave. Until next week. Chao.


No comments:

Post a Comment