Thursday, August 8, 2013

Aldea Infantil: Brett's Final Post

By Brett Fotheringham

July 30
My final week at the Aldea was amazing, sad, but very happy as well. I had troubles finding a picture for this week so I finally just settled on this picture because I think it's hilariously adorable. On the left, with what looks to be a French Fry in his mouth is Renzo, and on the right is Matias. In the picture these two little guys are just hanging out outside of our house, along with half of the Aldea. Our last week we had a dramatic increase in activity participation and favor asking. It was a bit stressful but it was really neat to talk with all the kids, and see that they cared about us just as much as we cared about them. Two months is a comparatively short time in a persons life, but the experiences I have had at the Aldea have made the last two months feel like I have lived a whole new life. I know it may sound cliche, but I really feel these kids have taught me so much more than I could ever have hoped to teach them, about love, about service, and especially about myself. It's incredible how much the Aldea has changed my life, and how I view the world. As people in the U.S., we enjoy a lot of privileges and we are told this all the time so we think we are aware of how good we have it, but until you go out and see the need in the world, you don't quite understand how much there is to be done. Two months was far too short a time to do everything necessary, but I wouldn't trade my experience here for the world regardless. I hope one day I have the chance to come back to the Aldea and see what has become of all these amazing children, and hopefully see that I, and all the other volunteers past and present, have made a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment