Friday, October 2, 2009

a day in the life of an intern at aldea (brian)

So today was a full day. I have a lot to do here this week still! Today I did some English teaching, we’re making Mud Puddles this Friday as a dessert with the Tias. I enjoy it and it gets people really excited and the Tias here LOVE cooking new things!

I went to all the houses and told everyone about today’s plan and had about six kids show up for English Club. We learned basic fruit names in English and people who memorized the fruits we revised were given a candy. I used Kayla and Della’s fruit pictures and names to teach. I wish I had had more kids there and more of a fun game to play instead of just a lesson with a candy as a reward. I have a mini project for the weekend now!

I have an idea about what to do for the Physical Education classes I’ll be doing here. I need to find a scale and measuring tape. I’ll take measures of everyone’s arms and get everyone’s weight and note it all down on paper. As we go exercising throughout the semester, learning how to stretch, build muscle, gain strength, and maintain good health, we’ll record how the kids do so they can mark and monitor their own progress. We’ll have prizes for each child to meet along the way as motivators to continue exercising on their own initiative and get in shape. Prizes will have to be exercise related. Hmmmmm….something cheap and valuable. water bottles, headbands…

I also learned that the boys here LOVE to play around with the girls their age and flirt. If given the chance, they’ll do it without hesitating for a second.

After English, just the girls here and I practiced “Thriller” and then I taught Country swing. It was fun.

Then I went outside and played volleyball for a bit with the girls. I went around asking the Tias if anyone in each house needed help with homework. Only one child asked for help with spelling in Spanish. Everyone else had finished class and homework.

I’m bushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment