Friday, June 14, 2013

Aldea Infantil: New interns

June 9
The first several days at the Aldea have been quite an experience to say the least! With so many things to take in (trying to learn Spanish, eating new food, learning names, etc.) Brett, Megan and I have been able to find a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction in the work so far. We've spent a lot of time with some of the younger children at the Aldea. Trying to teach things such as math, reading, and manners definitely takes a lot of patience, but it's also very rewarding. 

One experience that stands out for me happened the other day when we were outside playing basketball. I found myself at at one hoop with a couple of special needs children, Luzmila and Miguel, who are both about 14 years old. They decided on team names (Lions & Cobras) and then started to take turns shooting underhand shots on the net. They shot really well, and it was awesome to see their faces light up when they made it! They shared the ball and both enjoyed going against each other. They asked me to play with them again the next day, which I did, and it was just as fun. 

It has been a wonderful experience at the Aldea Infantil and I look forward to getting to know many others over the next couple of months.

Justin Schow

No comments:

Post a Comment