Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Aldea Infantil: Meet Alyson

We are excited to have Alyson as a new intern! In the following post, she describes her arrival and first week at La Aldea Infantil


June 17
When I arrived at The Aldea early Monday morning I was immediately overwhelmed by the quaint and cheerful environment. Ten little houses, painted orange and pink, surrounded a big grassy area. There was a rusty old playground and a cement soccer court and all the large rocks had colorful, animated faces painted on them. It appeared to be a mini village, especially designed for little kids.


While the peaceful atmosphere quickly disappeared once the kids came back from school, the place still remained a cheerful, safe haven from the outside world. For many of these children, The Aldea is a sanctuary from some rather awful things. I am grateul to be a part of that sanctuary.

My week involves playing and chatting with all sorts of children. One girl I often talk with, Maribel, is only a year or two younger than me. She taught me how to make these colorful little bracelets, and we have become friends. Maribel is a great help to the interns. She often helps me when I can't understand the little kids' Spanish and is always willing to watch after the little ones with us. As I sat making one of those bracelets with Maribel, I wondered what fate or power made me the intern, the girl with loving parents and the financial means to travel to her country, while this intelligent, sweet girl, barely younger than me, was the orphan? I will likely never know the answer to that question. But I suppose it doesn't really matter. That is the situation and my responsibility is to help in any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment