Friday, June 29, 2012

Semillas de Amor: A walk without shoes

Update from Katy at Semillas de Amor:


June 13, 2012
This was a week that caused some deep reflection on the part of the interns. We were able to go on an enjoyable hike to a local tourist spot. On the way back, we took our shoes off for a little less than a mile. While the pain we felt on the rocky, unpaved, dirt road was certainly on our minds, the main thing running through our thoughts was how the children we are here to help walk roads like this everyday without even the option of shoes. With every step the thought kept running through my mind, "Because I have been given much, I too must give." The Universtiy I attend at home does a "Day Without Shoes" each year to raise awarness for child poverty. While I participated, it didn't affect me until I had to walk a mile without shoes on the roads these children walk.  We need to take a stand, like a local hotel here that donated shoes for each of the kids in Nueva Colombia. 



They now proudly all wear the donated shoes each day. In the fight against poverty, we need to stand up and walk with those that are affected. Please take a stand by following and supporting our cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment