Friday, November 6, 2009

Flashback Friday (Natalie)

Next Monday my husband and I as well as about 25 other people are getting together to see two special little people. I've been waiting for this reunion for a long, long time.

There are two boys from an orphanage we worked with in Peru who were lucky enough to be adopted by a loving couple earlier this year. Their mom tells me they are adjusting very well. Apparently they LOVED Halloween. But what kid coming from an impoverished third-world country wouldn't? You dress up and then walk around to people's houses and they give you candy??

In fact, I wonder what else they found fascinating about living in the U.S. Once in a while I try to see my world through the children of Peru's eyes. What would they think about Costco? I'm sure they'd love the free samples as much as I do. But what would they think about the giant packs of food? About the Christmas displays already set up? I'm sure they would stare with eyes wide and mouth open at people pushing enormous shopping carts overflowing with food, snacks and a ton of non-essential, non-important STUFF.

As I watch Christmas advertising, I have to stop myself from judging our commercially-minded society. I have to remember that even though a child may have more toys than they will ever need and still want more, that's just how things are here. It doesn't make us bad people - just amazingly fortunate and blessed.

And given the chance, I know every poor child would do the same if given the chance. I guess that's what I want for Christmas - for every poor child to have more food, more toys and especially more LOVE than they will ever need.

1 comment:

  1. They do love the samples at Costco! It's new every time, and they think it's great that they get to eat while we shop.
    I don't think Halloween will have anything on Christmas. They are anxiously waiting for Santa Claus because they were told that he only comes to American children - not Peruvian children. It was sad for me to hear that, but I can understand why it was said.
    I too wish that more children had food enough to eat and toys, and love!

    ReplyDelete