Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Meet Chelsea

My name is Chelsea. I am from Spanish Fork, Utah, and I just graduated in December of 2008 from Brigham Young University with my Master’s Degree in Communication Disorders. I work in an elementary school and at a special ed preschool as a Speech and Language Pathologist for Alpine School District. A great perk from working in a school district is that we have summer vacation. Woohoo!

I knew that I wanted to spend my summer travelling somewhere and volunteering for some type of humanitarian program. Through Southern Cross, I have been given that opportunity. I cannot wait to come to Peru! I feel humbled and grateful for the opportunity to serve with the Perpetual Education Fund program. I have been very impressed with the leadership of the Southern Cross Organization. I have also been impressed by the interns who are offering their time and energy to this cause with hearts full of love for their brothers and sisters in Peru. I have every confidence in their ability to make a great difference for good.

I hope that my work and service will be a valuable asset as well. I am coming down ready to work hard, and do my best to make the most of this experience. Specifically, I will be working to help individuals master the English language. I will also be using my knowledge in Communication Disorders to further the work of the Perpetual Education Fund program. Though my motives are to benefit others by giving them language skills that will give them greater educational and career opportunities, I can’t help but think that perhaps I am the one that will be gaining the most from this experience. Two months seems like such a short time, but I plan to use that time well. I feel that this is a great opportunity for me to learn about the Peruvian people and culture by immersing myself in it. I know that they have wonderful lessons to teach me that will shape my mind and heart and make me a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment