Monday, September 16, 2013

We Have Only Just Begun

Right away I began to sweat. The line to get through customs was welcoming, but long and without air-conditioning. The people who had gotten off of the plane with me, were either tourists or locals. Which meant that they were either terribly impatient or ready to start drinking. (probably both) It took about a hour to reach the man who would stamp my passport. I greeted him with a smile, and some rough spanish. Just like that I was in.  Oswaldo, the father of my host family was there to pick me up. We hopped in a cab and were off to my new home for the next three months.
Once we arrived I was greeted by controlled chaos. Little kids playing in the road, dogs everywhere, and dizzying spanish. Once I sat down and chatted with Uris and Oswaldo, I found that they were incredible people. I am lucky to have such an awesome host family. Monday, we rose early to go to the food bank. There we picked up a weeks worth of supplies for the foundation. I met Father Pardon man who does as much good for the world as he possibly can. I will volunteer at the food bank once or twice a week, just to help out and continue to foster a vital relationship. Tuesday was my first day meeting the kids, and was I blown away. These kids are some of the happiest kids that I have ever met. I know kids in the U.S. who have every material possession and then some, and they are sad mopey kids. The kids despite their life situation enjoy every minute of their lives. (when they are at the foundation anyway) The rest of the week was spent getting to know the kids and my way around Turbaco. It has been an adjustment from what I am used too, that is for certain. But it is for the better, and I am beyond excited to watch the kids grow and have a positive impact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment