Wednesday, April 24, 2013

El Bichito: Reading Harry Potter


By Anna Gleave


My first week at El Bichito, I noticed how bright and eager to learn Katherin was, so we decided to start a book together. I suggested we read Harry Potter, since I loved the series growing up, and she quickly agreed. I told her that as a reward, we would be able to watch the movie together after we finished the book. So we began reading together nearly every afternoon. I would read a few pages out loud to her, and then she would read a few; she also read on her own with her older sister on the days we couldn't read together. Once we were about half-way through the book, I caught her looking down at the page number, and the biggest grin creeped across her face. I asked her how many pages we'd read, and she said enthusiastically, "137!" I then asked her if she had ever read that many pages in a book before, and she shook her head no, still smiling. Well, you can imagine her excitement when we finished the entire book! She kept saying it was the most "bonito" book she had ever read! We watched the movie together that afternoon, and she got so excited every time she recognized a character or scene from the book. I promised her that if she kept reading the rest of the series, I would make sure future volunteers would watch the movies with her, and she agreed! She was so thrilled and excited about the series, and she was very proud of herself for accomplishing such a feat. The rest of the kids were also proud of her and made note of what a unique accomplishment this was! 

I see so much potential in Kathy and know she can do great things with her life if she has proper guidance and opportunities. She wants to be a doctor and is absolutely intelligent enough to become one; I hope that she can. 

P.S. Check out the article BYU Public Health did on our very own Anna Gleave. We are so proud of our interns!

No comments:

Post a Comment