Thursday, July 14, 2011

Last Week + Self-Esteem Activity (from Amanda)

Amanda fills us in on her last week at La Aldea Infantil:

My last week here at the Aldea. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by! As a going away gift, Katy and I decided to make the kids some "galletas Americanas" (American cookies) and award each individual child with a certificate/award that had a positive connotation to it. We thought that this might help the kids with their self-esteem--something that a lot of them struggle with. It was a big hit and a lot of fun. Jose Antonio's face (first photo below) just lit up when I read his name and his award: Senor Obediente. I think it was really good for the kids to be applauded for good things. Even a few hours later I saw a few of the children still clutching their awards. We had all kinds of variaties of awards ranging from natural leader to amazing-american-football-spiral-throwing ability :) Our hope is that the children will more be able to recognize the good qualities in themselves as well as those around them.



No comments:

Post a Comment