Monday, January 11, 2010

the little bug expedition - day six (pam)

Prospero Ano Nuevo! Are you having any fun yet! I know, I must be a geek to be emailing on New Year's Eve, but we've been partying at El Bichito for most of the day, and to be honest, I'm pooped! I think everyone in our group is pooped.. Some of the guys started off the day with cementing the inside walls of the second floor. Most of the effort of the group was in setting up the New Year's fiesta for the children. Everyone went all out in the preparation. There were streamers, banners, and balloons to put up. There were cakes and jello to prepare. We showed Feliciana how to cook the cakes in the oven that was donated on one of the last expeditions. Until now, she has kept the stove pretty in the original box. We not only baked cakes in the oven, we cooked scrambled eggs on the stove top. The eggs went with the rice and split peas that Feliciana cooked everyone for lunch. The children were supposed to have apples with their lunch today. We purchased apples, carrots, tomatoes, and onions in the market yesterday, but when we arrived at El Bichito this morning, all of it was gone! Someone must have needed the produce more than we did. The children of the drop-in center rarely get to eat fruit and vegetables or meat, so I was a little heartbroken. There is so much NEED in this area. I can say truthfully that we are accompanied by some very generous people. They spared nothing to make sure the fiesta was a great success ... party hats, glow sticks, pinatas, balloons, silly string, sparklers, fireworks, and treat bags. But, more importantly, everyone made new friends. Some of the children brought their parents and grandparents. It's more difficult to break the ice with the older generation, but by the end of the fiesta, everyone was smiling and hugging. There were a few who cried -- ninos and volunteers. Saying goodbye can be so difficult. I made a new friend. Her name is Maria Mercedes -- a very intelligent and kind twelve-year-old. I could hardly hold back the tears when our new Peruvian friends thanked us for the fiesta, but I did. A sweet, very short, mother grabbed me and hugged me with genuine appreciation, and I watched her as she made her way around the room hugging the volunteers. Did I mentioned that it has been a great thing to see the Peruvian people, here in Cajamarca, willing to help their own people? The local family has invested a lot of time and effort into our project this week. Another man wanted to know how he could financially contribute. A mining company heard about our efforts, and they donated about a dozen frozen turkeys. They just showed up at El Bichito's doorstep this evening. It was like Christmas all over again! Meat? That's a luxury in Puylucana, especially for the ninos who come to El Bichito. I wish you could see what I see. I just keep thinking, one can only save vulnerable starfish one at a time. Happy New Year! Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment