Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Sad Story (Jason at Aldea Infantile)

This last week we had a sad story. A boy came in to the Aldea who had huge blisters covering all of his lips. I am close to the tías at the Aldea and so I asked one of them what may have happened. Apparently, his mother heated up a spoon over the stove and put it to his lips because he was behaving badly. She said how sad that is and asked what kind of mother would do that? I can't even imagine. But, this past couple of days has brought some positive things as well. Since he has been at the Aldea he has been receiving kind care from the nurse their for his lips (cream) and they seem to be healing up nicely. But the biggest thing has involved another child with special needs at the Aldea.

Miguel Angel lives with a bunch of "normal" boys who sometimes poke fun at him that he doesn't really mind. But I don't believe he feels an equal to them. This little boy with the blisters has spent a considerable amount of time with Miguel and Miguel has enjoyed him very much. The boy is younger than him so Miguel (the former youngest of the group) feels like he is an equal with a kid that he lives with. I know that that seems like something small, but it is a moment for Miguel to shine and just be happy with himself and his friend.

I love working at the Aldea and making the kids feel loved and teaching them things they are excited about, like English or photography. I just love to help the kids shine and be happy with themselves and the talents god has given them. I don't try to force them to learn though, so they have learned quickly that I won't so they make sure they really pay attention and are proactive in educating themselves (all part of being self-sustaining /sufficient).

This reminds me of this great conversation I had with a man on the plane ride to Peru about how important education is. He called it an investment that always returns. I am hoping that the things we teach these kids make a difference. While I was in Lima, the person who picked me up from the airport asked me to talk about how important it is to pursue your dreams and follow the talents that God has given you, even in the work field. He said it is a problem here in Peru that some people think that there are only certain jobs that they can do to sustain their families. Essentially, it is an attitude of go where the money is. I think that in some senses he is right. I believe strongly that we should follow our dreams and god-given talents and use them to bless the world and sustain our families. I know it takes a pioneer to break out of a mold of thinking, but, it is worth it, not only for that person and his family, but his community and those that follow him.

I was saddened when I asked (biased I know, but come on, I am a film student), a kid here if he wanted to ever make movies. He said, "psshhh. Me make movies?" and then laughed it off as if it would never be a possibility. I hope to inspire these kids to strive for their dreams and pay the price to obtain them, even if the norm says it has never been done. It can be done. I have mutually beneficial connections to film people. And now these kids have connections to me. I apologize that this email is sort of a montage-like deal and perhaps not super clear, but I wanted to let you know that it's going great here!

1 comment:

  1. That first story just breaks my heart. Thanks for all the great work you are doing there. I love how you're helping these kids discover what dreams are.

    ReplyDelete